The Clergy Discipline Measure 2003 ('CDM'), together with the Clergy Discipline Rules 2005 (as amended), sets out the processes for dealing efficiently and fairly with formal complaints of serious misconduct against members of the clergy. It applies to all deacons, priests and bishops in the Church of England, even if they are not in active ministry.
More information on the Clergy Discipline Measure 2003 and the Rules can be viewed on the Church of England website here.
Clergy Discipline Measure - Tribunal Decisions
- The written determinations of disciplinary tribunals hearing complaints brought under the Clergy Discipline Measure, together with any decisions on penalty, can be viewed on the Church of England website here.
Publicising Penalties and Proceedings - October 2016
- The Diocese of Ely will adhere to the Church of England's guidance for publicising notices of Penalties and Proceedings which can be downloaded here.
Safeguarding and Clergy Discipline Measure 2016
Penalties imposed by bishops on clergy under the Clergy Discipline Measure
- In accordance with guidance issued by the Clergy Discipline Commission under section 3(3)(b) of the Clergy Discipline Measure and paragraph 263 of the Code of Practice, a Register of Penalties imposed by the Diocesan and Area Bishops in cases where there has been no Tribunal is kept by the Diocesan Registrar.
- For penalties issued before November 2022 please contact the Diocesan Registry.
- As of 24 October 2022, any notices of a penalty are now published on the Clergy Discipline section of the Church of England website.
- Records of Tribunal decisions can be accessed on the Church of England website.