The Church of England, its archbishops, bishops, clergy and leaders are committed to safeguarding as an integral part of the life and ministry of the Church. Safeguarding means the action the Church takes to promote a safer culture.
This means we will promote the welfare of children, young people and adults, work to prevent abuse from occurring, seek to protect those that are at risk of being abused and respond well to those that have been abused. We will take care to identify where a person may present a risk to others, and offer support to them whilst taking steps to mitigate such risks. The Church of England affirms the ‘Whole Church’ approach to safeguarding.
This approach encompasses a commitment to consistent policy and practice across all Church bodies, Church Officers and that everyone associated with the Church, who comes into contact with children, young people and adults, has a role to play. The Church will take appropriate steps to maintain a safer environment for all and to practice fully and positively Christ's Ministry towards children, young people and adults; to respond sensitively and compassionately to their needs in order to help keep them safe from harm.
Promoting a Safer Church, 2017
The Safeguarding Team continue to work as usual, but remotely. All team members have access to emails and are available on their mobile telephone numbers.
Contact the Safeguarding team
To make Safeguarding Referrals
During Office Hours
Safeguarding Duty Messaging Service: 01353 652747
- Please leave a message with your name, telephone number and a brief explanation of the reason for your call. The team member on duty will be alerted to your message and will call you back to discuss your safeguarding referral offering professional advice and support and together with you agree a plan to manage the next steps.
(Please do not use the Safeguarding Duty Messaging Service number for queries about DBS checks, training or recruitment issues)
Out of hours service:
Thirtyone:eight Helpline 01353 652747
Ely Diocese partners with 'thirtyone:eight' who provide an Out of Hours Helpline for reporting safeguarding concerns when the Diocesan Office is closed or when Diocesan Safeguarding Team members are unavailable.
The Ely Diocese Safeguarding Duty Telephone Number 01353 652747 will forward your call to the Helpline. Please note the Helpline does not operate between Midnight and 07.00 am.
If you contact the Helpline, please state that you are calling from Ely Diocese to ensure information is appropriately shared with the Safeguarding Team for necessary follow up on their return - an Information Sharing Agreement is in place which allows the Safeguarding Team to receive a copy of any advice 'thirtyone:eight' may offer the parish church/caller.
In a safeguarding emergency please contact the Police or Social Care.
- In addition, Safe Spaces is an independent service supporting survivors of church-related abuse.
- This independent service is run by the charity Victim Support and funded by the Church of England together with the Catholic Church in England and Wales and the Church in Wales.
- It is free to access via telephone - 0300 303 1056 (answerphone available outside of opening times), email - email@example.com or web-chat via www.safespacesenglandandwales.org.uk/
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser: Rebecca Boswell
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel No 01353 652731
- Mobile No: 07904 487912
- Hours of work 9am-5pm Monday to Friday
Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser: Sharon Gage (part-time)
- Email email@example.com
- Tel No 01353 652706
- Mobile No: 07507 741295
- Hours of work 9.30am -2.30pm Monday to Thursday
Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser: Lisa Pearson (part-time)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel No 01353 652738
- Mobile No: 07990 581267
- Hours of work 9am-5pm Monday to Thursday
Training, Criminal Record Checks (DBS) and Parish Safeguarding Officer Support
Diocesan Safeguarding Officer- Sarah King
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Tel No 01353 652735
- Mob: 0777 666 1798
- Hours of work 9am-5pm Monday to Friday
Safeguarding Administrative Support - DBS checks: Jackie Williamson (part-time)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel No 01353 652721
- Hours of work 9am-5pm Tuesday and Wednesday
Safeguarding Administrative Support - Training: Kelly Nott (part-time)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Tel No 01353 652744
- Hours of work 10am-2pm 0 Monday to Friday